The seeds of inspiration for Julio's work came at an early age working for his family's business of weaving ropes and nets. The business started from humble beginings, with many sacrifices being made to grow and develop the company over the years in order develop evermore colourful, intricate and technical products. Julio's artwork and concepts have developed in parallel over the years, gaining in complexity and visual impact. Many of the materials in each of his art pieces is specially commisioned from and created by his family in Madrid. This sense of family pride encourages Julio to develop and elevate his heritage of weaving into an ever expanding creative environment.
A graduate in Fine Art from Complutense University, Madrid, Julio Campos has also studied at Edinburgh College of Art and Anglia University. During this time he developed his ‘Powder Art’ concept followed by his first solo art performance, ‘Out of Me’ both of which were the founding inspiration for Thread Portals.
In 2000, following various private commissions he moved to Edinburgh where he completed various projects including set designs and graphic art works. He also collaborated in the creation of a university master class dealing with the ‘Process of Creativity’.
A commission in 2003 to create the illustrations for a new book by Maryel Gardyne entitled ‘The Atom and the Octave’ helped to put concisely into words the theories that he had been intuitively trying to represent in his previous work. These ideas have been developed further in the current Thread Portal works.
Living in London he has worked on creative window designs for leading designer retailers as well as freelance graphic design work. Most recently he has worked as commercial designer of shoes and accessories before starting as a full time artist.
- The Other Art Fair, Mile End Art Pavilion, London Oct 2013
- The Other Art Fair, The Old Truman Brewery, London Oct 2013
- Kinetica Museum, East London Design Show, London Dec 2013
- Project Space, The Affordable Art Fair, London March 2014
- LBA Contemporary Art Collection Auction, London April 2014
- Group Show CONNECTIONS, Nottinghill, London May 2014
- Group Show OBSESSION: Love, Ritual, London June 2014
- Conference 'Cosi in Cielo, come in Terra', Sala dei Chierici, Genoa June 2014
- Solo exhibition HILANDERA, G3 depot, 11 Gayfield Square, Edinburgh October 2014
- In January 2013 I was commissioned by a luxury Swiss brand, Davidoff to create an original artwork for their product marketing campaign.
- In April 2015 Claridges, London acquired 5 Thread Portals artworks for their newly renovated suites, design by David Linley interiors.